Norman resident saves dog, suspect charged

A concerned Norman resident came to the rescue of a dog that was being beaten by its owner, police said.

On June 22, Normanite Robert Wilson, the husband of Ward 5 council member Sereta Wilson, said he saw a man, later identified as 53-year-old Dennis Dean Ross, of Norman, hitting, choking and dragging a dog down E. Hayes Street. That’s when Wilson said he decided to notify law enforcement.

“I stopped and told him to let the dog go,” Wilson said. “The dog’s tongue was hanging out, and it was passing out due to lack of oxygen. It was a sad situation. I hope I never have to see something like that again.”

Wilson said if he did find himself in a similar situation, he would respond the same way.

According to a Norman police affidavit, officers made contact with Ross, who police said was uncooperative.

Ross was taken into custody and later charged with a felony count of cruelty to animals. He posted a $2,000 bond on June 22, Oklahoma court records show.

The dog was found in the backyard of the residence. A Norman Animal Welfare officer said the dog suffered from petechial hemorrhaging due to being choked.

Ross’ next court date with be a preliminary hearing conference set for July 24, where the district attorney’s office could offer an initial plea deal.

Norman Shelter Manager Mark Bechtel confirmed the dog is at the Norman Animal Welfare Center and is doing well.

Norman police take barricaded suspect into custody following a Monday standoff

A man was taken into custody Monday evening following a standoff with police just north of the intersection of E. Robinson Street and N. Porter Ave.

According to Norman Public Safety Information Officer Sarah Jensen, officers responded at about 5 p.m. to an armed barricaded suicidal male subject in the 1600 block of N. Crawford Avenue.

Jensen said NPD’s SWAT Team negotiators made contact with the man and negotiated with him until just after 8 p.m., when the suspect was taken into custody without incident.

No injuries were reported, Jensen said. No one else was inside the residence. The individual was taken into protective custody.


Leave a Reply