Photo: Bill Hutchinson
A man suspected of involvement in a fatal shooting in Concord Saturday was in custody after crashing a car, police said Sunday.
The search for the man prompted an unsuccessful raid on his parents’ home in Oakley Saturday that left the family dog dead, according to the suspect’s mother, Sandy Jacobson.
Concord police began investigating the case when a shooting was reported around 1:50 a.m. Saturday in front of the Nica Lounge on the 1900 block of Salvio Street in Concord, according to the Concord Police Department.
When police arrived, they found a 43-year-old man on the ground bleeding from a gunshot wound, and he was declared dead at the scene shortly thereafter, police said.
The victim’s name has not yet been released pending notification of his family.
By interviewing witnesses, police identified a 27-year-old suspect, and the Concord Police SWAT Team served a high-risk search warrant on a home on the 1900 block of Teresa Lane in Oakley, where the suspect’s parents live.
A shelter-in-place order was issued for the 1800 and 1900 blocks of Teresa just after 11 a.m. and lifted about four hours later.
“They came here saying our son who does not live here is in the house,” said Sandy Jacobson, the suspect’s mother. “He was not in the house — we told them over and over — but they did not believe us.”
During the raid, blinds and doors were broken, windows and mirrors were shattered, and the family dog was shot six times, she said.
“We can fix this (damage) but we can’t get our dog back. And they won’t let us have him so we can bury him. They said ‘well, no, Animal Control’s here to take him away.’ We don’t even have him to bury,” Jacobson said.
The suspect, who reportedly lives at a halfway house in Martinez, was not found during the search.
Police later learned from the California Highway Patrol that the man had been involved in a single-vehicle crash and was taken to the hospital.
“He was placed under arrest and due to his medical status remained in the hospital,” police wrote in a statement Saturday.
On Sunday, Concord police said the suspect was in custody.