UPDATE: Details emerge about events leading up to Yakima double-shooting

Updated story, 4 p.m.

Police say the double-shooting in North Yakima Wednesday evening took place after an argument between at least one of the victims and the suspect.

After shooting a 43-year-old man and a 19-year-old woman, the suspect, 62, retreated into his home in the 2600 block of Englewood Avenue before he was found with a self-inflicted, life-threatening gunshot wound, police say.

A relative of one of the victims said the argument involved a dog owned by one of the victims that had occasionally wandered into the suspect’s yard.

Updated story, 2:15 p.m. 

The 62-year-old suspect in Wednesday night’s double shooting is in extremely critical condition at Harborview Medical Center, said police spokesman Mike Bastinelli.

The two victims – a man and a woman –  are out of surgery but in serious condition, Bastinelli said

The man’s name has not been released by police.

Updated story, 8 a.m.

The 62-year-old man is being transferred to Harborview Medical Center, police spokesman Mike Bastinelli.

The man’s name and condition have not been released by police.

Updated story, 7 a.m.

A 62-year-old man accused of shooting two people during an argument Wednesday night was taken to a local hospital with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.


Every day Yakima Police officers respond to hundreds of calls, and here you can see details of the last 30 days of incidents.

Yakima SWAT Team members entered the home in the 2600 block of Englewood Avenue after negotiations and tear gas did not get him to leave the house, according to a police department news release.

His condition was not immediately available, but authorities described his wound as life threatening.

Most of the area was reopened by 4 a.m., police said. Officers found a handgun inside the house, the release said.

Updated story, 2:30 a.m.

Yakima police remained in a standoff with a double shooting suspect in north Yakima early Thursday.

Police say the 62-year-old man shot two neighbors, a 43-year-old man and unidentified woman, about 9:15 p.m. Wednesday in an open area between houses after an argument.

A search warrant for the suspect’s home was signed by a judge about 1 a.m. Police say they saw movement in the house after officers used a chemical agent—tear gas—to attempt to draw the man out.

Police say they were able to talk to the man on the phone at least four times before he stopped responding early Thursday.

As of about 2:30 a.m. Thursday, police say the man and woman are in surgery at local hospitals and are in serious condition, both sustaining multiple gunshot wounds.

Original Story

Yakima police were at the scene of a double shooting and standoff in north Yakima late Wednesday.

Police say a man shot two of his neighbors, a man and a woman, and then retreated into his house.

The incident occurred about 9:15 p.m. in the area of North 27th and Englewood avenues. The victims were at a local hospital where they were undergoing surgery late Wednesday. Their conditions were not immediately available.

Police cordoned off several blocks around the suspect’s home at the southeast corner of North 27th and Englewood avenues and initially used bullhorns and flash grenades in an attempt to bring out the suspect, who was believed to be in the house. About 10:45 p.m., a full SWAT team arrived with a negotiator and a command post was set up about a block east of the home.

Police went door to door talking to nearby residents apprising them of the situation.

On scene in the residential neighborhood were a large number of police units and an armored police vehicle known as a Bearcat.


Leave a Reply